Community Settings >> Data Management >> Import Data >> Import Ideas
This feature allows Administrators to bulk upload an MS Excel spreadsheet that includes a list of ideas.
- Skip First Line (Header): Switch this option "ON" when the first line in the excel file contains headings to the data to be uploaded. When ON, the first line in the excel file is ignored and the data from second line onwards is uploaded.
- Select Campaign: Choose the campaigns and assign your ideas to a specific campaign. Since ideas are upload campaign wise, please place ideas for each campaign in a unique spreadsheet. Then select the appropriate campaign from the dropdown list in the Idea Upload tool. The above screenshot shows that ideas are being uploaded to the campaign by the name "New Product Ideas"
- File to upload: Choose the excel file to be uploaded, The above screenshot shows that "New Product Ideas upload " is the excel file to be uploaded.
- Generate Template: This option is always recommended as it gives us a format of how the sheet needs to be filled in for the upload
Instructions for the Excel File
The file should be in the following format:
- First Column should be Idea Title / Subject for the Idea.
- The second Column should be Idea Description.
- The third Column can contain Tags (Optional) (comma separated).
- The fourth Column should consist of the Idea Submitter Email address. If you are planning to upload ideas on behalf of users, then you will have to populate the "Idea Submitter Email" column. If not then this column should contain the Community Owners / Admins email address - Basically, this column cannot be left blank. The sheet won't upload if this column is left blank.
- The fifth Column consists of Idea Submission date - This column can be left blank if you do not want to upload the pre-dated ideas. When left blank, the ideas will be shown as submitted on the date on which you upload them. NOTE:- The date field has to be in MM-DD-YYYY format. While populating dates the excel automatically converts the field to date type. Please set this column to "TEXT type" field".
- The sixth column is Stage ID - The template file has second sheet which has the Stage IDs mentioned. Enter the ID of the stage to which the ideas have to be uploaded. You can upload ideas to various stages in one go. The Stage ID field can also be left blank. When left blank, the ideas will be uploaded the first stage of the funnel.
- The seventh column onwards sheet contains Custom field data for the respective idea if the community has custom fields on Idea setup. The custom filed names should be entered has a header in the excel file and has to be exactly same (Case sensitive) as the custom field names in the community.
Please Note: It is mandatory to populate the custom fields which are marked as "Required". If your ideas contain few Custom fields which are required, make sure "Skip First Line (Header)" is switched "ON" so that all the responses to these custom fields are uploaded with the idea. If the "Required" custom fields are left blank, then an Error message is displayed.
Instructions to import ideas along with the attachments - https://support.ideascale.com/articles/2651038-importing-ideas-and-attachments
You can also upload votes via .xls format. Please check the below link for uploading votes with the help of excel file: https://support.ideascale.com/setup/import-votes