Path: Community Settings >> Data Management >> Import Data >> Import Ideas
We recommend using the 'Generate Template' function. This will provide you with the exact format needed to upload ideas to your community.
- Skip First Line (Header): Switch this option "ON" when the first line in the excel file contains headings to the data to be uploaded. When ON, the first line in the excel file is ignored and the data from the second line onwards is uploaded.
- Upload Attachments: Enabling this switch will open a new option 'Attachments file to be uploaded' for uploading idea attachments and a sheet named "IdeaScale-Attachments" will automatically be included in the template generated for upload. If attachments are not be uploaded, do not enable this switch. the generated template too, will not have the sheet for IdeaScale-Attachments.
- Select Campaign: Choose the campaigns and assign your ideas to a specific campaign. Since ideas are upload campaign wise, please place ideas for each campaign in a unique spreadsheet. Then select the appropriate campaign from the dropdown list in the Idea Upload tool.
- File to upload: Choose the excel file to be uploaded.
- Disable Notifications: This option is used for disabling email notifications to the users while importing ideas.
- Generate Template: This option is always recommended as it provides you with the correct format of the file for the upload to work correctly.
Instructions to fill-up the generated excel template
Column A is the Idea Title for the Idea.
Column B is the Idea Description.
Column C is for Tags (comma separated). This column can be left blank if tags are not being uploaded. If tags are predefined in the community, ensure that they are copied exactly as they are defined in the community.
Column D is for Idea Submitter Email address. If you are planning to upload ideas on behalf of users, then you will have to populate the "Idea Submitter Email" column. If not, then this column should contain the Community Owners/Admins email address. This column cannot be left blank. The sheet won't upload if this column is left blank. NOTE: System will prevent idea upload on behalf of banned / unverified users.
Column E consists of Idea Submission date - This column can be left blank if you do not want to upload the pre-dated ideas. When left blank, the ideas will be shown as submitted on the date on which you upload them.
NOTE: The date field has to be in MM-DD-YYYY format. While populating dates the excel automatically converts the field to date type. Please set this column to "text type" field.
Column F is Stage ID - The template file has second sheet which has the Stage IDs mentioned. Enter the ID of the stage to which the ideas have to be uploaded. You can upload ideas to various stages in one go. NOTE: When Stage ID is left blank, the ideas will be uploaded the first stage of the funnel.
Column G is Idea Number - You can enter any idea number (preferably in series). If you specify the Idea Number, then the sheet has to be sorted in the Ascending Order of the Idea Number. They have to be unique i.e which is not assigned to any ideas in the community.
Column H is Anonymous Idea - For ideas where idea submitters want to hide their identity i.e. submit anonymously, you can type in TRUE in this column. For non-anonymous/public ideas, the text should be FALSE. The text is not case sensitive NOTE: Leave the column completely blank if there are no anonymous submissions. but do not leave half rows blank and half rows with anonymity values. For eg. If only a couple of ideas are filled in those rows with TRUE, don't leave the other rows blank, fill them with the value FALSE.
Column I is Private - If the campaign allows private idea submissions visible only or amins, moderators and authorized groups, admin can select to submit idea anonymously. If the idea is private enter the text TRUE and if it is not, then select FALSE. NOTE: Leave the column completely blank if there are no anonymous submissions. but do not leave half rows blank and half rows with anonymity values. For eg. If only a couple of ideas are filled in those rows with TRUE, don't leave the other rows blank, fill them with the value FALSE.
Column O is Idea ID - If the switch Upload Attachment = ON at the time of generating the template, only then the template will have this column. This column is mandatory for attachments and moderator tags to be uploaded at the time of Idea Upload and cannot be left blank
If attachments are not be uploaded then the switch Upload Attachment should be OFF. The generated Idea Upload template will not have an IDEA ID column
Column J to Column N are used to add in idea URLs for Linking Ideas. These columns will appear if the community has Link Idea setting enabled and can be left blank. Each idea that needs to be linked can be further separately added in the column named Similar ideas, Substantially Equivalent Ideas, Related Ideas, Is part of Ideas and Contains Ideas.
The idea URL that needs to be added in the import for the Linked idea columns should be short URL like this: http://ideascale.com/t/UKwlZBkaJ. Admin can obtain these by exporting the Export Idea Report from Report settings.
NOTE :- Leave these columns Blank if ideas are not to be linked.
Column P is Campaign Name which appears only if admin has selected 'All Campaigns' under 'Select campaign' option. NOTE: Enter the campaign name exactly like it is in community. This field is case sensitive.
Column Q onwards is the Idea custom fields. You will be able to find the custom field names in the third sheet of the template.
Please Note: It is mandatory to populate the custom fields which are marked as "Required" in the community.
Convert the entire excel file to text format (Use CTRL + A to select the entire sheet content and from the Format >> Select plain text).
Please Note: In case there is a malicious content, virus, or malware during the upload it will show an error and the upload will fail.
NOTE:- HTML tags/entities in the text of Idea title, description, custom fields is not supported for eg:- greater than, smaller than signs, bullets, smart quotes ( curly quotation marks), &, © copyright ® registered trademark, etc. Ideas or any related fields, containing these characters would not be uploaded.
Stage IDs Sheet
This sheet contains the list of all the stage ids in the community.
When the template is generated, this sheet is automatically populated. It is a reference sheet from which Stage id is added.
Note: This sheet should not be edited.
IdeaScale - Attachments Sheet
Idea Id specified in the 'Idea Sheet' indicates the idea to which the attachment would be uploaded.
1. Idea ID - If an idea has multiple attachments, the idea ID will remain the same (for eg, Idea Id 1234574 underline in red). 2 attachments will be uploaded to idea id 1234574.
2. Author Email - Email address of the user on whose behalf we are uploading the attachment.
3. File Name - Should contain the file names of attachments that are included in the .zip file.
4. Note - Add notes to the image for your reference.
5. Size - Specify the attached file size in bytes. The attached file size should fall within the limits of the 'Maximum upload size' allowed for your community.Note - When uploading an attachment the users have the option to also add a note to the attachment. This column can be left blank if the user does not want to add a note.
5. Date - Specify the date of the upload in the format YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS. The attachment date could be the same as the idea date but not earlier than the idea date
NOTE: Create a .zip file of all the files which are to be uploaded as attachments . The excel file and the zip file should be under the same directory.
Moderator Tags Sheet
Moderator Tags sheet has the below-mentioned columns
- Idea ID - It is the idea Id of the idea to which the moderator tags would be uploaded
- Tag - The tags words which would be assigned as moderator tag. If the community has predefined moderator tags, then the tag column should have exactly those tag words. It's best to copy the tag from the community's moderator predefined tags list.
- Tag submitter Email - Its mostly the email address of the moderators, but if users from certain groups are permitted to tag ideas with moderator tags, then this column can include the email addresses of the users belonging to that group.
NOTE :- Ensure that the email Tags submitter email address is either a global moderator/campaign moderator /Custom field moderator/group moderator of the idea to which the tags are submitted to.
For eg:- uploading moderator tag on behalf of [email protected] would be possible only if he is a global moderator/campaign moderator /Custom field moderator/group moderator for Idea with idea ID 1234573 - He should have the moderation right over the idea tagged with the moderator tag.
A campaign moderator will be able to submit moderator tags only for the Campaigns to which he is assigned as a moderator. In other campaigns, he is a regular user so he will not be able to use the moderator tag.
You can also upload votes via .xls or .xlsx format. Please check the below link for uploading votes with the help of excel file: https://support.ideascale.com/setup/import-votes