To import ideas without attachment - https://intercom.help/ideascale/setup/import-ideas
1 .To import ideas with attachment enable the switch Upload Attachments .
2. Select the desired Campaign from the drop down or choose to upload ideas to All the campaigns at a time or choose to upload ideas only to one particular campaign.
3 . click on Generate Template button - The Generate Template provides a readymade spreadsheet with all the required column heads . The user has to simply enter the data to be uploaded .
Below is the screenshot of the template generated for uploading ideas to "All campaigns" . It has 4 sheets :- Ideas. Stage ID's Custom Fields and IdeaScale- Attachments
IDEAS SHEET - has to filled in with all the idea details .
- Title ( Mandatory ) - Subject for the Idea
- Description ( Mandatory) - Idea Description
- Tags (Optional) - comma separated
- Idea Submitter Email (Mandatory) - If you are planning to upload ideas on behalf of users, then you will have to populate the "Idea Submitter Email" column. If not then this column should contain the Community Owners / Admins email address - Basically, this column cannot be left blank. The sheet won't upload if this column is left blank.
- Idea Submission date (Optional)- This column can be left blank if you do not want to upload the pre-dated ideas. When left blank, the ideas will be shown as submitted on the date on which you upload them. NOTE:- The date field has to be in MM-DD-YYYY format. While populating dates the excel automatically converts the field to date type. Please set this column to "TEXT type" field".
- Stage ID ( Optional) - The template file has a sheet which has the Stage IDs mentioned. Enter the ID of the stage to which the ideas have to be uploaded. You can upload ideas to various stages in one go. The Stage ID field can also be left blank. When left blank, the ideas will be uploaded the first stage of the funnel.
- Idea Number ( Optional) - Its an optional column . But if you specify the Idea Number, then the sheet has to be sorted in the Ascending Order of the Idea Number . They have to be unique
- Anonymous ( Optional) - If the campaign allows "private" submissions that will only be viewable to admins and moderators the Anonymous"column can be filled in with True or else it should be left blank
- The idea ID( Optional) can be any unique number .Add this column only if you are uploading attachments.
- Campaign name - Add the "Campaign Name" column only if you have selected the All Campaigns option . Custom field values are specified after this column. . The values are specified in the order in which the custom fields appear in the "Custom Fields" sheet . This order is changeable in the custom field sheet but once the order is specified then the idea custom fields have to be filled in the same order.
Custom Field Sheet
This sheet is included only in the template generated for uploading ideas to All campaigns
Below is the screenshot of Custom field sheet which is a Reference sheet:
For Eg. for the campaign Website : the custom fields are County and Department . The values Canada and HR is are therefore specified in that order in the ideas sheet.
Campaign Product has the custom fields Ïs this new Product ? and "Who would be the target users? " . The values for the idea custom field are specified as "Yes and "Children"
The order of the custom fields can be changed in the custom field sheet eg, - you may choose to have values for Custom field "Department" first and then "Country". Interchange the the columns accordingly in the custom field sheet . Now In the idea sheet , make sure you specify HR i( value for custom field Department) in the first column followed by Country ( ie Canada)
Stage IDs' Sheet
This sheet has all the stage ID's for all the stages in the funnels . When the template is generated , this sheet is automatically populated . It is a reference sheet from which Stage id's are added
Note: This sheet should not be edited .
The Ideascale - Attachments sheet
Note: Create a .zip file of all the files which are to be uploaded as attachments
This sheet has the Idea ID as the the first column, followed by Member email, 3. Filename, 4. Note, 5. Size, 6. Created Date
Screenshot of IdeaScale - Attachment sheet
Idea Id specified in the Idea Sheet indicates the idea to which the attachment would be uploaded .
If an idea has multiple attachments , the idea ID will remain the same (for eg, Idea Id 924854 underline in red) . 2 attachments will be uploaded to idea id 924854.
Author Email - Email address of the user uploading the attachment
File Name - Should contain the file names of attachments which are included in the .zip file.
Size - Specify the attached file size in bytes. The attached file size should fall within the limits of the Maximum upload size allowed for your community .
Note - When uploading an attachment the users have the option to also add a note to the attachment. This column can be left blank if the user does not want to add a note.
Date - Specify the date of upload in the format yyyy-MM-dd-HH-mm-ss. Format.
Importing Ideas with Attachments for individual campaign is essentially the same as uploading ideas to all campaigns.
The template generated for uploading ideas to an individual campaign has 3 sheets . It does not include the Sheet for Custom fields since custom fields values are filled in the ideas sheet itself.
The Campaign column ,too is not a part of the ideas sheet. Since we are importing the ideas to the selected campaign, the campaign column need not be specified.
Once the Spreadsheets are ready for the upload goto Community Settings >> Data Management >> Import Data >> Import Idea
- Enable the setting Skip First Line ( Header)
- Select the campaign to which the ideas are to be uploaded
- File to upload - Select the spreadsheet to be uploaded
- Attachment file to upload - Select the zip file with the attachments
- Click on Upload.
When ideas from one have community have to be copied to another community.
Export the Ideas from the original community Reports >> Export Data >> Export Idea Data.
Output Format - Select from the dropdown
Enable Export Ideas attachments. This will return a zip file with all the attachments (if any) on ideas in the community.
Specify the Start and the End Date to export data for a limited period.
Select your timezone - You may retain the default timezone or select a suitable time zone
Campaign - Choose to export data for a single campaign or for all the campaigns.
Include GeoLocation - Enable this switch to also include the Geo Location details in the export.
Click on the Export. It will will return two files
- The excel file contains the following idea details. The last sheet in this excel file is a new sheet named “Ideascale - Attachments” which contains the data related to attachments
- A zip file file with attachments if there are any
As mentioned above, a ready made spreadsheet can be generated and the exported idea data can be used to populate the spreadsheet to be uploaded .
The zip file returned here while exporting ideas is selected as Attachment file to upload while Importing the ideas.
Note: It's optional to upload the attachments.