Path: Community Settings >> Advanced Settings >> Language Settings
Real-Time Translation gives IdeaScale admins the ability to localize user-generated content (ideas, comments etc) and notifications into multiple languages in real-time.
- Supported Languages
- Community Strings
- Real time Translation
- Batch Translation
- Translation Moderators
- Translation Moderation Dashboard
At the time of set-up, administrator need to specify languages by selecting those which their community would support. Community members will then be able to choose their preferred language in the idea submission form when they submit ideas or comment. IdeaScale support 36 languages as mentioned in the screenshot below out of which 2 are Right To Left languages.
NOTE: Selecting Right To Left languages with Left To Right languages may cause rendering issues
- اللغة العربية (Arabic)
- Հայերեն (Armenian)
- български (Bulgarian)
- Français Canadien (Canadian French)
- Català (Catalan)
- 中国（简体） (Chinese (Simplified))
- 中國（繁體） (Chinese (Traditional))
- Hrvatski (Croatian)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Suomalainen (Finnish)
- Français (French)
- Deutsch (German)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- >עברית (Hebrew
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- Íslenska (Icelandic)
- Italiano (Italian)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- ភាសាខ្មែរ (Khmer, Cambodian)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- Lëtzebuergesch (Luxembourgish)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- Polski (Polish)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Română (Romanian)
- Русский (Russian)
- Slovenčina (Slovak)
- Slovenščina (Slovene)
- Español (Spanish)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- ไทย (Thai)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- Cymraeg (Welsh)
Community strings include any standard text which is generated by IdeaScale (including standard community text editors, tabs, standard email text, and notifications). These strings can be customized in the Languages and Strings.
1. Translate Email Notifications - The email notifications will also be translated in the supported languages.
2. Only Display User Interface In Supported Languages - When this switch is turned On, the users who have their profile language set to unsupported languages will see the community in default language of the community.
3. Machine Translate Community and Campaign Titles & Description in Real-Time: Enabling this will have the community and campaign details machine translate automatically in real time basis. It will also translated idea custom field questions.
Please Note: Machine translations are send to Google Cloud Translation API service. Google does not use any of your content for any purpose except to provide you with the Cloud Translation API service.
4. Allow Admins to create campaigns, campaign groups and custom fields in all supported languages: With this switch enabled the admins of the community will have ease in creating campaigns and campaign related groups and custom field in the supported languages of the community without having to translate those later. Note: By default this content is created in community's primary language only.
Real Time Translation
Ideas, comments, and idea custom field responses are automatically machine translated into community's supported languages. Admin can customize how this translated content is displayed in the community by setting the following switches.
- Machine Translate Ideas & Comments in Real time - This switch when turned on will automatically machine translate the ideas and comments which are submitted henceforth by the members into supported languages.
- Show Translated Ideas And Comments by Default - When this switch is turned On, the ideas will be exported in the translated language i.e. default language of the community.
- Display Unverified Translation - Turning On this switch will show the ideas and comments in the member's profile language (if the said language is set as supported language by the admin) even if they are not verified by the translation moderators.
NOTE: Existing idea and comments in the community before enabling real time translation will not be translated. In order to have that content translated, admin will need to perform batch translation.
Turning ON real time translation only translate ideas which are submitted after the setup. Batch translation tool machine translates the existing data in the supported languages by selecting each supported language as Target language. This step needs to be repeated for all the supported languages. A email is received by the community owner once the Batch translation is complete.
NOTE: Ideas and comments which are already translated will not be processed again during batch translation.
If the community administrators would like to add an additional level of quality control to look over the automated translation, they can assign Translation Moderators to review and verify machine translated ideas and comments, and provide translations for admin generated content such as custom field questions, community and campaign titles and descriptions from Translation Moderation dashboard.
To assign a community member as Translation moderator, simply enter the email address in the 'Member Email' field and click 'Assign'.
NOTE: Translation Moderators do not have access to any idea, comment or member moderation, they can only verify and input the translations.
Translation Moderation Dashboard
The section 'Translation Moderation' to translate the content will be visible under the dropdown of top right hand corner where the logged in moderator's name is displayed.
This section is divided in 4 parts:
a. Ideas & Comments: This contains the original text as well as translations for all the ideas & comments which have been submitted in the community.
b. Headings & Descriptions: This allows to translate community name and homepage text, custom page and its content, campaign group and campaign names.
c. Custom Field Questions: This contains translation for idea custom fields, stage custom fields, member profile questions as well as campaign profile question.
d. Stages Content: This section allows to verify and review the stage names and their descriptions.
To help translation moderators narrow down to their required content quickly, each section has option to select source language, target language (in which content is translated), type of content and a keyword search field.
By clicking on 'Review' button, a new pop up will appear where the translator can make the necessary changes to the translation or verify it.
Update/translate the content and click on 'Confirm/Verify' button to save the changes.
Here is how the real time translation is visible to the idea submitter having his profile language set to something other than English. Along with screenshots of how it appears to standard users.
Idea Submitter: Profile language German and this is how the idea detail page looks.
Standard user: Profile language English
The standard users view: The standard user has the option to view the idea submitted in the original language by clicking on "View Original" as it automatically translates the idea submitted in other language to the user's profile language which in this case is English.